Friday, July 17, 2009

Birthdays, Birthdays, Birthdays

We have 3 birthdays within a week and 4th of July falls in the middle there somewhere (not to mention Grammy and Uncle Mike's b-day as well). So, how to make each birthday individually special? hhmm... a mom works so hard to do a little extra. So, here we go on a birthday adventure. There is ice cream cake at the end, so hold on for the long read.





First stop: Mom's birthday. June 30th.
My birthday wish? Donuts -woohoo!! Its been years since I've had a donut. In fact about 2 years - I loved donuts when pregnant with Ethan and they tasted way better back then. A whole apple fritte for lunch just doesn't sit the same.













Then utilizing a new birthday gift: Decorating individual cakes (Thanks, Auntie M). Ethan really got into it. I'm a proud mommy as he uses those fine motor skills. Its fun to see that a boy enjoys crafts too.









Ella's style was a little different - taste first, then get to work.

















Our finished product. I'm so proud of us, they kinda look like the pictures. That never happens when I get crafty. Although, Ethan took some bites out of his dragonfly before the pictures (see bottom right).





Next is the real holiday
4th of JULY!!!
We enjoyed the moring with friends at the neighborhood parade. Holidays are more fun when dressed up and holding props.













BBQ & festivities in the evening.

Then comes.... ETHAN'S BIRTHDAY!! July 7th
Breakfast prayer by the birthday boy - you have to see this video. I swear we didn't prompt him at all, but he will typically say a quick prayer before daddy at each meal. This breakfast we added sprinkles to the pancakes and Ethan called them "cookies!!!". What fun to think you are getting cookies for breakfast on your birthday.


And new gifts! Why not open gifts first thing in the morning of your birthday? He opened this and with no instruction he knew what to do.





Then wtih Ella at a playdate, Ethan and mom spent the morning just the 2 of us. First stop - balloons at the Dollar Store!!! (FYI, 6 months later he stood in line for the same balloon singing "I'm so excited, I'm so excited for my balloon, I'm so excited..." Parents - keep it simple!!!!!












We bought one for big sister too. Unfortunately, Ella lost hers during a slight gust of wind later that day. Tears and sadness - the balloon caught in the telephone wires. More on that later.


















Then off to Chuck E Cheese with leftover tokens from 2 years ago. He was a little timid without big sister to lead the way, but we eventually got into the games... especially pounding things. It was most fun to see him explore things his own way. The 2nd child doesn't always express/lead the same as the first.






Climbing...















And a quick lunch break (boys are so much better at eating than girls). And then we were off for a haircut. We wrapped up the day with our normal dinner routine with daddy, books, and lovely songs. I may do a future blog with all of his singing, but not enough time. Next event...

THE CIRCUS!!! Thank you amazing friends who treated us to an amazing night at the circus. It just so happened to land during our birthday week extravaganza.

July 8th
Family circus photo - note Ethan's finger in the nose. Classic!













Elephants, tiger, doggies, horses, zebras, tight rope, and stunt guys. Fun, fun.

ELLA'S BIRTHDAY!!

July 11th
Presents at breakfast with daddy - a webkins kitty. And Ella immediately added the ribbon leash, of course. I think we've already lost this and it hasn't been a week yet. Note to self - better look for that kitty.













Balloon's at the Dollar Store - AGAIN.
Yahoo, she got to choose the princess one, so we're happy again. Relatively fast resolution to the loss on the phone lines in days previous.











Rides at Chuck E Cheese - AGAIN.

Yes, so I'm not that original when the birthdays are 4 days apart. I stick with what works and Ella didn't go on Ethan's birthday. So this time, he was more comfotable and stood on the skeet ball to get some tickets (dad's idea, I swear). Ella loved it and we even traded our tickets in for 2 mini-lollipops. Bonus when dessert is included.








Ethan is hungry.



Ella is smiling.











Then an impropmtu dinner and presents in the evening. Yes, she is wearing a tu-tu for her ballet rehearsal on the same day.



Top it all off with... ICE CREAM CAKE!

[Would someone please brush my hair?]


We are so blessed with our birthday activities and with healthy little ones. Thanks for sharing the days/events with us and reading all the way to the end of this blog. Thank you Lord for bringing them into our life. The days of their birth were truly a miracle that we cherish individually. You've created Ella & Ethan , we are so grateful you placed them perfectly and miraculously in our care.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. What a wonderful way to feel like I get to see the kids grow. Still can't believe how big they are! Miss you so much, love to you guys.

    ReplyDelete